Taking proactive steps towards managing osteoarthritis can greatly enhance your quality of life by enabling you to pursue your interests and daily activities with greater ease and comfort.
To ensure the optimal health and wellness of our members, we provide those with Gold Hospital cover or Gold Combined cover* access to Healthy Weight For Life’s Osteoarthritis Management Program, at no extra cost.
The program runs in 3 phases over 18 weeks, and includes;
- Healthy weight for life | Portion planning and lifestyle modification system (includes phased use of KicStart™ VLCD meal replacements)
- Personal kit | Physiotherapist developed in-home strength, mobility and pain management kit
- Digital member hub | Secure personal web portal to track progress, access great resources and message your healthcare support team
- Monitoring and support | A specialised healthcare team on hand to provide support and guidance via phone, SMS, email and private online message board
How does the program work?
- 5%+ weight loss | Healthy Weight For Life portion planning and lifestyle modification system and phased use of KicStart™ VLCD meal replacements.
- Strength and mobility| Targeted strength, balance and mobility exercises to help stabilise joints and improve mobility – using the complete at home kit
- Gentle exercise plan| Gentle exercise such as walking to help reduce joint stiffness and improve physical function
- Healthcare monitoring and support | A specialised healthcare team providing active support and guidance via phone, SMS, email, private online message board and post.
- Digital member hub | A secure personal web portal for patients to track progress, access great resources and message the support team
- Pain management | Complementary pain management techniques and strategies
How can the program help me?
The program aims to improve your day-today living and associated quality of life by reducing knee and hip pain and stiffness and improving mobility. It can also improve your preparation (pre-hab) for knee or hip replacement surgery (if relevant).
It achieves this by combining:
- A structured eating and weight management plan (targeting 5 - 7.5+% loss) to reduce joint load
- Increasing the strength of muscles around their knee and hip joints
- Gently increase physical activity (where possible)
All the products and tools are delivered directly to your home so the entire program can be done in the comfort of your own home regardless of whether you live in the city or country.
How do I join?
The first step is to register your interest in taking part in the program by calling the Healthy Weight For Life Team on 1800 226 180 (free call) or emailing [email protected].
*Waiting periods and other conditions may apply. To be eligible, you must a member of our fund on Gold Hospital cover or Gold Combined cover and meet the following criteria;
- Diagnosed, symptomatic knee or hip osteoarthritis
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 28kg/m2 or higher
- An Australian Hospital product held for 12 months or longer that includes joint replacement cover
- Not previously participated in the program
- Approval from your GP or surgeon (form provided when you register your interest)