Taking a proactive approach to managing type 2 diabetes is key to achieving better health and wellness, giving you greater control over life, and allowing you to experience more energy, longevity, and joy.
Our commitment to the health and wellbeing of our members is why we provide those with Gold Hospital cover or Gold Combined cover* the opportunity to participate in the Healthy Weight For Life’s Type 2 Diabetes Program, at no extra cost.
The program runs in 3 phases over 18 weeks. Each six week phase of the program incorporates;
- Portion control eating plan (including KicStart™ VLCD meal replacements)
- Activity plan
- Education and coaching plan
- Personalised online self-monitoring and tracking system (phone/mail alternative available if you don’t have internet access)
- Two-way personal motivation, support and guidance through phone, SMS, email, message board and posted communication by a central care support team of healthcare professionals and program navigators
How will the program help me?
The structured approach of the Program coordinates the cornerstones of good diabetes management. This utilises improved nutrition, weight management, increased activity, guidance and support to help maximise your overall health, vitality and quality of life through;
Weight loss and better nutrition | Improves metabolism, energy levels and other health markers
Regular physical activity | Improves fitness and assists with weight loss and general wellbeing
Education | Helps build understanding of the issues and strategies
Monitoring and engagement strategies | Helps instil accountability and boosts motivation
How do I join?
The first step is to register your interest in taking part in the program by calling the Healthy Weight For Life Team on 1800 226 180 (free call) or emailing [email protected].
The next step will involve taking the GP Approval Form (provided when you register your interest) along to your doctor to discuss the suitability of the program for you.
The Prima Health team is available to answer any questions you or your doctor may have about the program.
Then simply return your completed forms via any of the methods listed so our team can continue processing your application**.
*Waiting periods and other conditions may apply. These programs are available for members on Gold Hospital cover or Gold Combined cover who;
- Have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 28, and
- A diagnosis of type 2 diabetes, and
- A hospital policy that has been held for at least 12 months
- Willingness to provide progress data over the course of the 18 week program – in particular weight, waist measurement and regular blood glucose readings (where relevant)
- Having not previously participated in a Healthy Weight for Life program funded by your health fund
** This program does not replace the advice given by your own healthcare team. Please consult with your GP before commencing the program and attend regular check-ups to keep them updated with your progress. Close medical monitoring is necessary for patients taking regular medication such as warfarin, insulin, oral diabetes and blood pressure medication.