How do Police Health’s counselling benefits work?

As part of our commitment to supporting the mental health and wellbeing of our Members, Police Health offers counselling services in our Extras cover.  

As the counselling profession is unregulated, benefits will only be claimable by recognised providers. In order to qualify as recognised providers, counsellor’s must be registered with either the Australian Counselling Association (ACA), or the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) and be in private practice whilst meeting a set of practice and educational criteria. This ensures our members can have confidence in the counsellors we recognise. 

With the new benefit in place, eligible members will be able to claim back 80% of the cost of a counselling session, up to benefit limits (see State Guide) and Annual Maximums. Benefits are payable for one-on-one sessions, couples/family sessions and group sessions.

Counselling benefits and Psychology benefits have a combined Annual Maximum of $850, with a combined Psychology and Counselling Rollover Benefit of up to $1700 per person. *

*Subject to waiting periods and other conditions. 


What criteria do counsellors need to meet to become recognised?

Police Health have partnered with the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) and the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) to ensure a counsellor meets our requirements to be registered for counselling benefits with Police Health. 

Both ACA and PACFA have various levels of membership determined by the counsellor’s education, experience and training. Both organisations require their members have professional supervision each year and complete minimum amounts of ongoing professional development.

A counsellor must meet the following requirements for counselling benefits with Police Health:

  1. Hold a level 2, 3, or 4 membership with the Australian Counselling Association, or hold membership as a Clinical Registrant of Mental Health Practitioner with Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia; and
  2. Hold appropriate public liability & professional indemnity insurance and appropriate first aid certification; and
  3. Be in a private practice (organisations that are government owned or receive government funding do not qualify as a private practice)

When a counsellor meets the above requirements they apply directly through the ACA or PACFA to be registered as a Police Health provider for payment of counselling benefits. 

A counsellor may be registered with more than one counselling association.


How can my counsellor register as a Police Health recognised provider?

Your counsellor should contact the Australian Counselling Association (ACA) or the Psychotherapy and Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA) directly to determine and make application to be recognised for benefits by Police Health. 

How can I find a recognised counsellor near me?

Please call us on 1800 603 603.

For members who are consulting a counsellor not yet registered for benefits, please encourage them to enquire with the ACA or PACFA so that benefits may be paid by Police Health. 




New partnership supports healthy wellbeing

SA Police Legacy and Police Health logos

read more


What’s the best way to claim an External Breast Prostheses?

A woman wearing a head wrap and smiling

read more


Have you thought about a skin check?

A person receives a skin check

read more

Sign up, stay informed.

Keep your finger on the pulse with the latest community events & news, health information and Police Health updates by signing up to receive our free newsletter.